The teenager who was famously pictured in a bloodied state in his mugshot after he sexually abused an 11-year-old boy and was beaten unconscious by the child's father has been jailed for 25 years.
Raymond Frolander, 18, was beaten to a pulp by the furious father after he walked in on the teenager performing a sexual act on his son at his home in Daytona Beach, Florida, last July.
After Frolander's arrest, police released his mugshot, which saw him sporting swollen lips and eyes, black bruises and lacerations to his face. The photo was quickly shared thousands of times online.
Now, the defendant has been sentenced to a quarter of a century in prison by Circuit Judge Leah Case after pleading no contest to lewd and lascivious molestation of a victim younger than 12.
Jailed: Raymond Frolander, 18, who was beaten unconscious by a furious father after sexually abusing his 11-year-old son, has been sentenced to 25 years in prison. Above, the convict is pictured in court on Thursday.
Bloodied: After Frolander's arrest, police released his mugshot, which saw him sporting swollen lips and eyes, black bruises and lacerations to his face. The photo (above) was quickly shared thousands of times online
Wearing an orange jail jumpsuit, Frolander showed little emotion as he agreed to a plea deal in a bid to avoid a mandatory life sentence on Thursday, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reported.
Speaking outside court, the child's 35-year-old father - who is not being named to protect the identity of the victim - said the sentence would give his son's attacker the chance to reflect on his actions. 'He’s going to learn in the next 25 years why I let him live,' he told reporters, according to WFTV.
The youngster's grandmother added that the plea deal means her grandson will not have to go through the psychological trauma of a trial, saying: 'He just needs to learn to trust again.'
As part of the deal, Frolander, who had been molesting the boy for years, will be listed as a sexual predator, be on sex offender probation and undergo electronic monitoring for life after his release.
On the night of the attack, the child was apparently playing video games with Frolander and some friends. However, after the others left, the defendant took him to a back room, the boy told police.
Father: Speaking outside court, the child's 35-year-old father (pictured)- who is not being named to protect the identity of the victim - said the sentence would give his son's attacker the chance to reflect on his actions.
Plea deal: Frolander (pictured alongside his attorney on Thursday) showed little emotion as he agreed to a plea deal in a bid to avoid a mandatory life sentence lewd and lascivious molestation of a victim younger than 12.
There, Frolander reportedly pulled down the child's pants and performed a sex act on him, before being caught by the boy's father, who had just returned home after picking up some food.
The father, who had heard a strange noise coming from the bedroom, pushed open the door and discovered Frolander with his genitals exposed, police said. He immediately started beating him.
In the early hours of July 18, the father called 911 and told the dispatcher: 'I just walked in on a grown man molesting [name redacted]. And I got him in a bloody puddle for you right now, officer.'
He continued: 'He is nice and knocked out on the floor for you, I dragged him into the living room,' before adding: 'Send an ambulance. He is going to need one.'
Police arrived at the house to find Frolander unconscious. During an interview, the boy told officers the suspect had been molesting him for three years - something Frolander later admitted to.
After his arrest, Frolander was was treated at hospital before being taken to the closest police station. In his mug shot, his still-swollen face was evident from the beating he had received.
Officers appeared to understand the father's reaction. 'Dad was acting like a dad. I don't see anything we should charge the dad with,' Daytona Beach Police Chief Mike Chitwood said.
Speaking to WFTS,he added: 'You have an 18-year-old who has clearly picked his target, groomed his target and had sex with the victim multiple times.'
Days after the incident, the father admitted that it was only his son's pleas which had stopped him from killing the pervert after he had stormed into the kitchen and grabbed a knife in his rage.
'My son is the one who stepped in front of me and stopped me. My son saved his attackers life, so who's really the hero in this situation?' he asked WKMG after Frolander's first court appearance in Volusia County.
The man admitted he had 'just snapped' when he walked in on Frolander naked with his son. Shortly after beating the teenager into a coma, he grabbed the knife and walked over to him, he said.
'I was going to kill him,' he admitted, adding that he and his family had considered Frolander a close friend and had often allowed him to spend time with the 11-year-old boy at their home.
'There was nothing uncommon to let the kids go in the bedroom and play video games together and now I have to wonder why the door was shut,' the father explained last July.
He added that his rage also stemmed from being molested himself as a child at a foster home in California. He said beating Frolander was the easy part and that much harder days lay ahead.
'I'm not going to pressure anything on [my son],' the father told reporters. 'I know exactly what he's going through, when he's ready to talk about it, he will.'
Police defended his actions but later criticized him for creating a Gofundme page, initially entitled 'Rebuilding Innocence' and featuring an image of a sleeping boy, asking for $1million in donations.
On the page, the father wrote: 'We are reaching out to anyone that can help. Our son was sexualy (sic) assaulted and we are now faced with the challenge of picking up the pieces, the emotional and financial burden is about more than we can endure.. Please.. Anything helps.'
Chf Chitwood told DailyMail.com he was 'pretty shocked' by the page, which was later taken down by the charity site.
'The police, investigators and prosecutors go to great lengths to protect victims of sexual abuse. I'm sure his intentions are in the right place but this is not good for the young man's recovery,' he said.
During his interview with police, the child reportedly told officers that he had been intimidated and told by Frolander that terrible things would happen to him if he revealed the abuse.
'He's 11 years old, he should be running around outside and playing video games, not dealing with something like this,' Chf Chitwood said at the time.
No charges were filed against the boy's father.